Welcome to India

Welcome to India

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Very Random Update :)

So it's been awhile since I've blogged and so I am going to write one now :)
I have been in Mangalore since January 1st and it is already March 24th...talk about time flying by...time grew wings bigger than a jet plane and it soaring around like it owns the place. Haha but that's besides the point. Anyways, let's see what I've done since my last post about the crazy Kola festival...
Today I got a lot of errands done such as going to one of the many many shoes tailors and getting my green suitcase fixed and 3 shoes. I bought shoes in Kerala and one shoe fits and the other is too big and it slips off every time I try to wear it so I don't know what he is going to do but I find out tonight. I got one pair of shoes stiched an extra time so they don't break and my suitcase I have a feeling is going to end up looking pretty rough and gangster. It broke in the middle-during the plane ride over here-and so when I arrived and collected it, it had been saran wrapped like crazy and I didn't know if I was going to be able to fix it. Luckily, there is someone here who specializes in whatever you want done so I'm hoping he puts on a new zipper or something. We shall see.
Then I went to the tailor to get my sleeper sack made (a bed sheet folded in half with 2 sides sewn so I can sleep in it during the many up coming train rides I will have), well it took a long time to try and describe that to them but I find out tomorrow if I have a sleeper sack or not.
Lastly, I went to the beauty parlour because I decided that I needed a haircut. I haven't had one since late August and I know the weather wasn't being kind to my hair so I went for it. I told them I wanted it cut and once they understood I didn't mean colored, they asked if I wanted a 'U shape'. I don't know what they meant by that so I went for straight. They said ok. So that was all fine and dandy and then they asked how I wanted the front-I went for it and said layers. Then I was asked to remove my specks. Now, luckily, I am a pretty laid-back girl who doesn't really care that much about my hair because removing my specks which makes me bascially blind and letting 2 Indian women cut my hair when they only speak broken English is kind of nerve-wracking. I said layers and she said something back that was kind of English and then nodded and so I guessed she knew what I was talking about. In the end, it was a fine haircut. It was nothing too special but it got the split-ends out of the way and now I can contiune growing it out for locks of love so I can chop it all off at the end of this year or early next year.
A few days ago I bought a saree :) We have our validictory on Wednesday I believe and all the girls wear sarees and so hopefully the tailor will be done by then. It's a darker teal color with a maroon border. I'm so excited to wear it! I just hope I am able to learn how to put it on so I can show all of you when I return.
I finally caved and got my legs waxed as well. I hadn't shaved since I left 30. Dec and I went for it on St. Patty's Day hahaha-that's a PR (personal record) for sure :) The beauty parlours have all sorts of stuff for cheap and so I am experiencing a lot of first there like a manicure and pedicure-although they didn't do as well on the actual paint part of it-the pre-paint stuff felt good. And I got my legs waxed for the first time, my eyebrows plucked with a string and a facial. hahahaha it's riduclous.
My 2 roommates and I, are almost done booking everything we need for up north-like trains, planes and hotels. It's going to be an adventure for sure because we got hotels but who knows if they are going to be what they say they are. We have only stayed in 1 hotel in India thus far and that was the first couple days in Mangalore when we didn't have our house yet and BCA was paying for it. All of our excursions so far we have stayed in homestays so who knows what the India standard is for a cheaper hotel hahahaha I bet really good :)
I only have a few more days of classes and then I am all done with those. I have Thursday and then a few days next week. Then we leave for an excursion to Goa where we will spend Easter. Then we return and have to take our 3 finals as well as pack up our stuff and get everything ready to go because we leave for Bangalore, our last excursion, and then 3 of us aren't coming back until the end of April! We figured it would make the most sense to go directly from B-lore to Calcutta and start our travels north. I have a feeling April is going to be crazy and zip past me.
I hope all is going well with each one of you. I think you should send me some updates so I know what's going on in your lives since you don't all have blogs. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment