Welcome to India

Welcome to India

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Past few days...

A busy past few days is what I have had. Now I will write :)
A few nights ago Andreas mom (Andrea is a third year BSW at Roshni) came over to our house and made cocomut chutney, sambar and neer dosa with us so we could attempt to write down a recipe of what she was doing. The food she made was delicious and I've decided I love making neer dosa...we'll see how well we can make it by ourselves when we get back to the states. Neer dosa is bascially rice and water blended together and grilled up. It tastes good with the coconut chutney and sambar and peanut butter excellently enough. Yes :)
On Thursday, Friday and Saturday I had field placement at Vishwas Trust and there were some interesting moments for sure. Thursday afternoon I ate pani-puri and masala-puri at a roadside stand. Now I was slightly scared because we were warned about the roadside places a little bit but we were also warned about buses and the water and I'm still fine I figured I'd go for it. I'll admit, it wasn't one of my better ideas but it tasted good and it's 3-4 days later and I am still fine so it's all good. On Friday we had a send off/farewell gathering with the MSW students in the afternoon and one in the morning with the elderly. It was Anisha and Sister Rosalies last day at field palcement and in the afternoon they recognized Annie and I for coming too. Annie (my direct roommate) has been coming with me the past few Saturdays and has/will come the following Fridays as well. Her placement was at a school but the school has exams now she needed somewhere to go. Anyways, they put a garland of jasmine around us as a token of thanks and gave us a nice card too. It was really sweet.
The Jeppu meeting was next on the agenda for Friday. It is about a 5 minute walk from Vishwas although walking the speed of most Indians it takes about 10 minutes to get there. There were 6 elderly women there. Some MSW students sang a song of prayer to start the meeting off. Then they talked about adjustment...in Kannada. And then came the fun part! I was in charge of the activity and I couldnt think of what to do with a few elderly women...then I got it....thumb wars! Hahaha it was fabulous. I taught them all how to do thumb wrestle and they loved it. Who woulda thought I'd teach thumb wrestling in India to a some elderly women? Hahaha and then what we did next was crazy too! They wanted Annie and I to sing an American song or do an American dance. We tried to tell them we are from different places and don't really have dances or songs that we all know or are traditional but they wouldn't buy it. So guess what we sang? Oh, you know, Summertime by New Kids on the Block. Hahahahaha!!! Yeah, we had written down the lyrics in anticipation of having to sing something at the farewell thing with just the MSWs...and we didn't think we would actually have to sing something. So yeah, we sang a hip hop song about girls in short shirts on the beach thinking about her summer boyfriend. Ohh India.
Friday night we went out for the first time to an actual Indian club. It's called Pegasus and one of the guys at school is friends with the owner. 4 of us went with 2 guys from Roshni. They were so cute because they were being so protective of us and kept telling us to be cautious and asking us if we were comfortable. We were. No Indian men tried to 'make to move' and so it was fine and dandy. We got to dance a little bit which we havent been able to do since we got here so it made us all happy.
Saturday after field placement we went to the beach with Andrea, Tony, Dennis and Sonia (all students at Roshni) and attempted to fly a kite. They had made it earlier that day but then it had to travel on 2 buses and a ferry to the beach and soooo it didn't quite fly. We got it up a few feet and then it would come down.

No comments:

Post a Comment